Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Rethinking Guided Reading Groups

Planning and running guided reading groups was rough last year.  I had 33 students with insanely different reading needs.  I worked so hard to schedule groups around Title interventions, ELD pull out, SMART, and who knows what else.  Even after insane amounts of planning, I still felt like I wasn't meeting with each of my kiddos enough.
The schedule allowed for me to meet with groups of students, but I never had enough time to individually conference with students.  I still feel bad about this and am determined to make this my professional goal this year.
This was my never-changing group planning page. Yikes!
Although the scheduling was crazy, prepping and assessing each week was tricky too.  It wasn't until  I made time to explore Reading A-Z's website and do some research (Pinterest and TPT) that I began to feel like I had a grip on my groups.  (Side note-last year was my first year teaching 1st grade)  My greatest discovery was a literature circle pack from Rulin' the Roost.
Click the image for TPT link.
I was able to use the pack with all of my groups, no matter their level.  This allowed for a more streamlined planning and a smoother transition between groups.  I know I will be using this pack again!
I am so excited to get planning on this year's groups.  I am so eager to get my class list and student files, but more than that, I can't wait to meet my kiddos!

I would love to hear about your guided reading recommendations.  Also, don't forget to check out my giveaway!


No comments:

Post a Comment