Wednesday, July 17, 2013

What I'm Loving Wednesday - Summer School Parent Days

I really enjoy linking up for What I'm Loving Wednesday.  Thank you Jessica for hosting!
I can't believe that our Summer JumpStart program is already 1/2 over.  I love the learning that has taken place and am so grateful for the time and energy that went into writing the grant, for the program.  One piece of the grant is the parent support component.  The last day of each week, parents are invited to come in and learn with their child for the day.
I am a huge advocate for having parents in the classroom and have therefore embraced these days.  Last week, parents came to the library and picked out books with their child.  I also taught the parents and students how to play "Oh, No!" I then sent them home with the game supplies.  This week, we will be reviewing all of our writing and reading from the week.  One activity that I will be using is from Erica Bohrer's Super Spelling Centers, called Brown Bag It.
If you don't have this center book, I highly recommend purchasing it.  I love using it for review and homework.
We practiced using this center today with our sight words.  It was incredibly easy to differentiate this activity.  Several students wrote their sight words three times each, while others used their sight words in a complete sentence.

Tomorrow my summer students will be teaching their families how to play Brown Bag it.  Therefore, today I am prepping supplies so that families can take home a laminated set, in order to practice at home.

Do you use any of Erica's centers in your classroom?  I would love to hear from you and how you use them.
Happy Wednesday!


2 comments:

  1. I was trying to respond to you through email- but your setting are currently as a no reply blogger :( -

    but- I wasn't sure if by your comment on the clocks page if you wanted it? If so I'll happily email it to you- just shoot me a line!

    themeekmoose@gmail.com

    ~Heather
    The Meek Moose
    The Meek Moose on TpT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marcy,
    I found your blog through the What I Love linky! I love the name of your blog! Happy to be a new follower!
    -Marie
    Beach Lovin' Teach

    ReplyDelete