Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Show Us Your: Read Alouds

I love to read to my students!  The look on their faces when they discover something new or make connections while listening makes my heart flutter.

Check out some of my favorite beginning of the year read alouds, and be sure to check out the other blogs that linked up with their favorites.

I use this book to introduce Writers' Workshop!  I love the discussions that it leads to.

Such a wonderful first day of first grade read aloud!

This book magically appeared in a bin of books from my sister, and boy am I grateful for it.  It is an adorable story of a boy's imagination and his "summer vacation."

Oh, Junie B.  This is the first chapter book that I read to my students last year, and I am thinking about reading it again this year.  There are moments when Junie makes me cringe, but the students love her and truly relate to her.
This book holds a dear place in my heart!  It was the book that my mentor teacher read on my first day of my student-teaching, and it is the same book that I read on the first day in my very first classroom.  I continued to read this book each year, as a fifth grade teacher.  My students' responses always amazed me.  I believe that this story opened doors of trust with my students that I am forever grateful for.  It isn't really appropriate for 1st grade, though.
What books do you read aloud to kick off your year?  Do you have any books that hold a special place in your heart?



6 comments:

  1. I cannot read "Thank You, Mr. Falker" without turning into a blubbering mess. What a great book!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,

      I know what you mean. It is one of those books that makes me strive to be a better teacher! I love Patricia Polacco!

      Marcy
      SearchingForTeacherBalance

      Delete
  2. Oh I've always wanted to get The Night Before First Grade but I didn't know if it was any good or not! I'm definitely adding it to my list now :)

    Someone gave me Thank You, Mr. Falker as a gift and I honestly have never read it. Although you recommended that it is not age-appropriate for first grade, you have sparked my interest and I'm going to give it a read!

    Thanks for the great suggestions :)

    Sam
    Fun With Firsties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,

      You definitely need to get The Night Before First Grade, it is a great beginning of the year book. Have you ever read Twas' the Night Before Thanksgiving? That is another fun one that follows the same rhythm. Please let me know what you think of Thank You, Mr. Falker.

      Marcy
      SearchingForTeacherBalance

      Delete
  3. I love, Love, LOVE Junie B. Jones! I will definitely be reading Junie B. First Grader at Last to start the year off. I haven't seen the night before first grade, I'll have to look for that one. I do love First Day Jitters, too.

    I am headed back into first grade this coming school year and I am very excited! Would love for you to head over and check out my blog! I am currently doing a give-away!

    Lindsay
    If You Give a Teacher a Treat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsay,

      I love First Day Jitters, too. Let me know if you check out The Night Before First Grade; I would love to know what you think.

      Marcy
      SearchingForTeacherBalance

      Delete