Thursday, July 18, 2013

Liebster Award

I am ridiculously grateful for the Leibster Award nominations that I received!  I was nominated by the three amazing ladies mentioned below!  Thank you for the support!

So what is a Liebster Award?  It is an award given to new bloggers with less than 200 followers.  
Here are the rules:
1.  Link back to the blog(s) that nominated you.
2.  Nominate 5-11 blogs with less than 200 followers.
3.  Answer the questions posted by the nominator(s).
4.  Share 11 random facts about yourself.
5.  Create 11 questions for your nominees.
6.  Contact your nominees by commenting on their blog or sending them an e-mail to inform them of their nomination.


My first nomination came from the wonderful Maggie, over at Mrs. Rodriguez's Class.


1. Why did you start blogging? I started blogging to share in the collaborative on-line teacher community that I have grown to love.
2. What is your favorite subject/grade to teach?  I have bounced around grade levels and specialties, but 1st grade reading fills my heart with joy!
3. What is your favorite store to buy work clothes? Old Navy for great sale and staple items, and Paizlee for cute, trendy items.
4. What is your favorite television show? Friends, hands down the greatest show.  I relate way too many events in my life back to the show.
5. What is your favorite aspect of teaching? Teachable moments
6. What is your favorite non-teaching hobby or activity? I love hiking.  Living in Oregon allows me to be out-and-about year-round, as long as I am okay with getting rained on. 
7. How do you spend your Saturdays? Hiking or exploring around Portland
8. Do you prefer summer or winter?  Summer; I miss the sunshine too much in the winter.
9. If you had a $5,000 check for your classroom, what would you buy? Books and technology for my students!
10. What is your favorite restaurant? Bamboo Sushi - ohhh, my goodness, I love sushi!
11. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?  Prague!  Prague is on the top of my travel list.  


My second nomination came from the fabulous Bridget, at Hardcore Teacher Resources.

Hardcore Teacher Resources
1. What college did you go to? Michigan State University; GO GREEN!
2. What is one of the funniest things a kid has said during class? "English is a weird language!" It sparked a sea of "Yes it is!" from every 6/7 year old in the class.  It was funny and profound, and so damn true.
3. What's your favorite subject to teach and why? I have bounced around grade levels and specialties, but 1st grade reading fills my heart with joy! I love the moment when my students realize they are a reader!
4. If you could be anything other than a teacher what would you be? I can't imagine doing anything else, but I have always wanted to work in a test kitchen.  I think it would be fascinating to work for Rachael Ray.
5. What's the last song you played on your itunes/spotify,etc.? Tristan Prettyman - Say Anything
6. What would be your last meal choice? My grandma's gnocci and marinara with meatballs!
7. How do you take your coffee? with a splash of coconut milk
8. Do you watch the Bachelorette? Who do you predict will win this season? I have watched a couple seasons of the Bachelor, but not the Bachelorette.  Is this season crazy?
9. What is your Go-To after a bad day at work? Trader Joe's Peanut Butter and Jelly Milk Chocolate Bar - AMAZING!
10. What's the best thing about being a teacher? The greatest part of being a teacher is when former students come back to volunteer in my classroom or recall learning moments.  
11. What is your favorite product on TPT (one you've made and one someone else has made)? 
My favorite product that I created is Ice Cream Word Families.  My students have really enjoyed practicing their reading and categorizing with them.
My greatest TPT purchase is Sarah Cooley's Sight Word Sticker Books.  These books have proven to be fabulous motivation for my students.


My third nomination came from the incredible Kristen, of Fifth Grade Ramblings.

1.  What made you start blogging?  I started blogging to share in the collaborative on-line teacher community that I have grown to love.
2.  Favorite all time movie? Hook; I love this version of Peter Pan
3.  What is your favorite food/thing to cook? Tacos; I may be Italian, but tacos are a weekly staple in our house.
4.  What book are you in the middle of, or what have you recently finished reading? I am currently rereading Debbie Miller's Reading with Meaning.
5.  Ultimate destination vacation? Hawaii!  I want to float in the ocean without a care in the world.
6.  Best thing about your job? Worst? The best part is the act of teaching, but the worst has to be the emotional strain.
7.  What is playing on your iPod right now? Ben Howard - Every Kingdom
8.  Do you have any pets/what are they? I have a 5 year old rescue dog, Raph.  He is my furbaby!

9.  What was one of your funniest classroom moments?  A funny moment that sticks out was the day one of my students got caught having a bubble party in the boy's bathroom.  The counselor walked by and found my student covered from head to toe in bubbles, with more coming out of the sink.  It was one of those moments when I knew I shouldn't laugh, but it was so hard to hold back.
10.  Coffee, tea, or neither?  What gets you movin' in the morning? COFFEE!
11.  In your school, what are you best known for?  Taking on a lot!  I love getting involved, but sometimes I have to remember to say, "NO."



11 Random Facts about me:
1. I am left-handed.
2. I have a younger sister.
3. My favorite color is green.
4. I HATE squash.
5. I loathe scary movies.
6. I refuse to wear plain white socks.  If I can't wear sandals then my socks need to be snazzy.
7. I have a dream of visiting all 50 states.
8. I love Kettle Salt and Vinegar chips.
9. Once upon a time, I was a nanny.
10. If I could be any fictional character, I would be Mary Poppins.
11. My sister and I have matching tattoos.
It is an enso.  It signifies our journey of sisterhood.
I am nominating (and still searching for more):
Elizabeth of Seconds at the Beach (a fellow Oregonian)
Becky from First Grade Friend-zee!
Heather from Ms. Moon's Kindergarten
Marie from Beach Lovin' Teach

Here are my questions:
1. What college did you attend?
2. If you were not a teacher, what would you be doing?
3. Do you have any pets? If so what?
4. Who is your favorite children's author?
5. If you could have any superpower what would it be?
6. What is your favorite subject to teach? Why?
7. What is your favorite color to write with?
8. Why did you start blogging?
9. Mr. Sketch markers or Scentos?
10. What is your favorite movie?
11. How do you balance blogging, teaching, living, etc.?

I am so thankful for all of the support thus far, and cannot wait to continue on this blogging journey.

7 comments:

  1. We're both lefty's! Congrats on getting two more nominations! My hubby's best friend lives in Prague and we've thought about going to visit. I love your tattoo!

    I am still looking for more teachers to nominate as well. It's getting hard to find people who haven't already been nominated.

    Maggie
    Mrs. Rodriguez's Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie!
      Thank you for the support! I hope that your summer has been fabulous and that you are getting excited about a new school year!

      Marcy
      SearchingForTeacherBalance

      Delete
  2. Hi Marcy,

    Thank you for the nomination! I love that you're from Oregon, too!

    Elizabeth
    www.secondsatthebeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Elizabeth!

      I love your new blog design, and can't wait until I can afford to give my blog a facelift. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

      Marcy
      SearchingForTeacherBalance

      Delete
  3. Wow thanks so much for liking my blog!!! I see that you went to school in Michigan too! I like you and your sister's matching tattoos--that's so sweet. I will try my best to follow up with all those steps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I'm addicted to salt and vinegar kettle chips too! Yum! I just added a blog post with answers to your questions and everything else, minus the next nominated bloggers which I'm going to take my time hunting for. Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!

      I am so happy that you accepted the nomination. Salt and vinegar kettle chips are the best, aren't they? My husband hates when I eat them, while we watch movies. He claims they are too loud. I hope the rest of your summer is wonderful.

      Marcy
      SearchingForTeacherBalance

      Delete