Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Day the Crayons Quit


Last week, I read The Day the Crayons Quit to my kiddos and boy, oh, boy did they love it.  It was the perfect follow up to our Elmer study, and who doesn't love a book that Oliver Jeffers worked on?!

I wanted to do something fun to tie everything together and found Cara Carroll's Color Pals to be the perfect activity.

My kiddos had an absolute blast choosing their crayon color, creating the accordion arms and legs, and assembling them!




Can you find the "short, stubby" crayon (like Blue Crayon, from The Day the Crayons Quit)?
If you haven't check this book out, do so!  You won't be sorry!

2 comments:

  1. What a cute project! I'm student teaching in a 5th grade class, but after reading the book recently I've been thinking about how a lesson could be adapted for older students...maybe having them write their own page about why a crayon quit. You've inspired me to think more about that!

    p.s. found your blog through Farley's currently :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that you found my blog. My teaching career started in 5th grade. How are you liking it?
      I love your idea of having the kiddos write their own page. It would be so much fun to use a large box of crayons for it. I would love to hear what a kiddo with the color "macaroni and cheese" would have to say.

      Marcy
      SearchingForTeacherBalance

      Delete