Friday, September 6, 2013

Setting Expectations

This week has been chock-full of expectations.  I honestly believe that if you work hard on expectations at the beginning of the year, you will have a "smooth" learning year.  I say "smooth" in quotations because every so often you get a move-in that sets the class into tizzy mode.  Either way, teach-tos are in full force in my classroom.
Today was behavior this and rules that.  We read 3 of the David books which set the tone for our Peacemaker lesson.

 It was amazing how a couple of my boys instantly connected to these books. I wasn't sure if I should be happy that they found an interest read or sad that they related to David.  Either way, we had a great discussion about peacemakers and peace breakers.
The students used the anchor chart to create their own page for our first class book!  We used Rachael Mitchell's Peacemaker pack for our book.  I loved how they took responsibility for their learning by using the anchor chart and/or my model, and I certainly can't wait to bind our first book.
Our day continued with a visit from administration to discuss our school handbook.  It was so cute listening to their comments at the end of the discussion, as they kept referring to the David stories.
The afternoon was filled with more rule discussions as we reviewed our PBIS expectations and created our Stickin' To The Rules books, from Michelle Hudgeons.



I am beyond impressed with this group's ability to support their own learning.  Once we move into the independent part of our activities students disperse to the place in the room that suits their work needs best.  I am so proud of them, and we are only 4 days into our year together!

What activities have you done to teach expectations and rules?

4 comments:

  1. Your class looks so calm and tranquil, I'm sure that helps too. I hope you enjoy your week and something special headed your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina,

      I am so happy that it looks that way. As I mentioned in my post, we work crazy hard on expectations before any content teaching takes place. I learned on day one that this group needs structure with options. In all honesty, I think that the kicker is that I have 27 right now verses the 34 I had at the beginning of last year. I hope you have a super week as well!

      Marcy
      SearchingForTeacherBalance

      Delete
  2. Marcy, I'm not at all surprised to see that you are an amazing teacher! You are so organized and you have a real knack for relating to the kids....I still remember our fifth graders loving your, "You're golden!" comments. I was so lucky to teach with you for a year:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail,

      You don't know how much your words mean to me. I owe so much of what I have learned to you. Now, as a cooperating teacher, I always stop and think, "What would Gail say." I miss you and the Dubliners all the time! I hope to come back and visit some time soon.

      All the best,
      Marcy

      Delete