Monday, September 9, 2013

Management X3

Establishing routines is one thing, but sticking to them and a system that works is crucial.  For myself and my kiddos it comes down to the following three:
1. Whole Group Behavior Management
For whole group management, I use Deirdre Eldredge's behavior charts.  Her pack contains such a fabulous variety of charts.  Right now, my students are working toward a glow stick dance party.  In years past, I would let the students choose their reward once they had hit their goal, but with her charts it is fun to know what we are working toward.  The class can earn a lightbulb if they receive a compliment from another staff member, if everyone follows directions the first time they are given, or if I catch everyone working their hardest.  They get so excited when they earn a bulb.  I can't wait for their first celebration! 
2. Individual Behavior System
I use a vertical clip chart for individual student behaviors.  Each day, my students come in and move their clips to "Ready to Learn."  This single act allows me to know who is absent.  Students then move their clips up and down depending on their behavior.  If a student is on "Outstanding" at the end of the day, they receive a good phone call home, or an outstanding note to take home.  Very seldom does a student make it to contact home for the negative reason, but if so a call is made and a school punishment is discussed between myself and the parent(s).  
*You can find this chart in my TPT store.  I used Autumn Zaminski's adorable chevron paper to create it.*

3. Individual Behavior Tracking

I use Class Dojo to track and collect data on my students' behaviors.  This incredible app/site is free and insanely easy to use.  I love that I can share the data with my kids' parents, as well as have it for necessary meetings.  The kiddos also love that they can create their own avatar.

These systems work together and separately, but ultimately they are what holds our class together.  What type of management system(s) do you use?


3 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of your students moving their clips to ready to learn... I'm going to try that!

    I got the bracelet!! I love it so much! Thank you!! I'm going to blog about it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth,

      I am so happy that you got the bracelet and am happy with it! Let me know if you end up having kids move to ready to learn to start the day. I love hearing how strategies work with other grades.

      :)
      Marcy
      SearchingForTeacherBalance

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete