Monday, January 20, 2014

I can't take it anymore!

My students are amazing!  Honestly, they are incredible!  They love learning, work hard, are creative, enjoy writing, are respectful....I could go on and on.  Unfortunately, they are hesitant risk-takers especially with spelling during writing.  I always work toward teaching my kiddos to know and use their resources, but I still hear, "How do you spell...?"
I decided that it was time to create an anchor chart for spelling expectations.  We came together as a class and reviewed different spelling resources in our classroom.  This is what my students came up with...

After creating and reviewing this chart, I provided students with a journal prompt and they were off.  Within minutes a couple of hands popped up..."How do you...?"  They stopped themselves and went to the chart.  More and more kiddos began getting out their writing folders and using our file folder word walls (by the incredible Erica Bohrer).



What do you do to encourage spelling independence?

3 comments:

  1. Love this! I WILL be doing this with my students. It drives me bonkers too!!

    Kelli
    Tales of a Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been the best anchor chart ever! I can't wait to add more to it as they become stronger spellers!

      Marcy

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh....I have this problem TOO! We are spending 10 minutes at the beginning of every writing session working on spelling strategies. Right now, it is syllable spelling -- breaking words down into syllables and listening for the sounds. They just need to S.L.O.W down...No matter what, I am determined to figure this spelling problem out before I send them on to 5th grade. If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete