Saturday, October 12, 2013

Transitions

I don't care how long I have been teaching, transitions are the most difficult part of the day.  I want my kiddos to have down time to rejuvenate their minds, but I also want them to stay on task.
I typically use music during transitions or a repeat after me.  My kiddos have come to enjoy Disney songs and cartoon theme songs as they move from one place and activity to the next.  However, there are times when I feel that I need to keep my kiddos focused on the specific learning taking place.  This is when I use my repeat after me.  These chants and phrases range from repeating directions, to vocabulary, ABCs, Zoo Phonics, counting, and PBIS reminders.  This technique is limitless, yet there are times when noise and voices are the last things we need.  It is at these times I quickly get my iPad and open up The Quiet Game.  This app is a digital version of an oldie.

Just like The Quiet Game we played as children, this app challenges the silence of those playing.  My kiddos love trying to set new records, and I love how quickly they transition from quiet to their necessary task.

What techniques/strategies do you use to transition your kiddos?

No comments:

Post a Comment