Saturday, August 22, 2015

Time Travel


If you could go back in time and give your first-year teacher self some advice what would it be?

In the last 10 years, I have learned a lot about my self as a teacher, the world of education, and the needs of children.  I would love to go back and give my first year teacher self some advice.

1. Everyone is doing the best they can!  Often times, I would get frustrated with parents and even coworkers thinking that they were not giving their children and students their all.  Oh how becoming a parent has quickly changed that mentality.  Everyone is doing the best they can.  Life can be really hard, but if we support each other instead of looking down on others we would ALL be better off.

2. Take a breather!  I am a workaholic there is no denying it, but it is okay to stop and smell the roses.  Too often I would commit to one more thing because I was always in fear of missing out.  Guess what...that is perfectly fine.  You don't have to be a know-it-all, what you need is enough energy to do everything with passion and to truly love what you are doing.

I bet there are a million other things that would have helped me my first year, but as long as I continue to learn and love what I am doing that is what matters right?!?

What would you tell your first year self?

No comments:

Post a Comment