Monday, November 2, 2015

Monday Meals: A Whole Chicken in a Crockpot; Oh My!

If you haven't figured it out yet, I love my crockpot.  Seriously, I have no idea what I ever did without it.  Now, with a four month old it is a saving grace for actually having a home cooked meal.  This past week, I decided to get the biggest bang for my buck.  I cooked a whole chicken and then turned around and made bone broth/chicken stock.  My crockpot ran for a day and a half, but it was so worth it.



1 medium to large onion
4-5 pound hen; rinsed and giblets removed
salt
pepper
smoked or sweet paprika

Roughly slice the onion and place it in the bottom of the crockpot.  Place the chicken on top of the onion.   Make sure you have removed the "stuff" from the inside and rinsed the entire bird.  Generously coat with salt, pepper, and paprika.  Cook on LOW for 5 hours.  Be sure to use a meat thermometer to determine if the bird it cooked since different sizes could require another half hour to hour.
There is no liquid necessary because plenty will be produced while the chicken is cooking.

What are you making this week?

Let me know if you are interested in how to use the bones and juices to make bone broth.  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment