Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Where would we be without volunteers?

I don't know about you, but without my classroom volunteers I would be lost!  At the beginning of the year, I had a handful of parents interested in volunteering in the classroom.  I knew I would need their assistance, so I created this form to indicate where I needed help and to keep everyone organized.

 

Throughout the year, I learned several things about having volunteers in the classroom:
  • always have more for your volunteer to do than time allows
  • do not ask your volunteers to grade student assessments
  • if you want something prepared a specific way consider prepping if yourself
  • parents that can volunteer from home are just as helpful as those in the classroom
  • volunteers during Centers or Daily 5 are irreplaceable
  • always show your appreciation
In order to show my volunteers how much I appreciated them, I gifted each one with these adorable herb plants.  Ashley over at That's So Second Grade, give me the idea with the brilliant term "sup-HERB."  I picked up the pots from HomeDepot and the herb plants at Trader Joe's.  I also purchased patio paint (it doesn't fade) from Michaels and a paint pen for the writing.  I was amazed at how quick the project came together, and thrilled with how they turned out. Plus, my volunteers loved them.  I would enjoy hearing what you have done to say "Thank You" to your volunteers.

No comments:

Post a Comment