Saturday, September 6, 2014

Back To School 2014

We are officially back to school!  It was an awesome first week with my new firsties.  They are too cute and so excited for a new year of learning.
We jumped right into discussions of using kind words, how to make new friends, and appropriate school behavior.  It is thanks to the books Chrysanthemum, Ribbit!, and Don't Squeal Unless It's a Big Deal that these concepts were practiced and taught.  We even reread Chrysanthemum by using our QR codes and listening to the story.  As we "re-listened" students took turns crumbling and smoothing out Chrysanthemum's heart to show that even if we apologize hurtful words make a mark on our heart.
You can check out my in depth post from last year for more details.

We then made a promise to not use hurtful words and signed our promise with bandaids.


Yes, our week was full of rules, routines, and community building, but I made sure to allow time for introducing GoNoodle.  It has been a hit since their first bout of Wiggle It!  
I am so grateful for the excitement and encouragement that GoNoodle brings to my students.  Are your students GoNoodling?  If not get on it!!!  You will be the happiest teacher!!

How has your first week (or month) been?

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank, Tanja! I hope you had a great week, too!!

      Delete
  2. Love the bandaid thing :) Too cute! We did one go noodle a day and they love it. At first they looked at me like I was crazy, but they like it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the heart idea! It is a great visual for students! My students love Go Noodle! Our first 4 days of school we had to have inside recess, Go Noodle definitely rescued us then! Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete