Thursday, December 19, 2013

My Writing Moment


Over the last few years, I have really done my research on teaching writing.  My learning started with conferring and small group instruction.  I used strategies from...

The ideas and knowledge that I gained were wonderful, but I still felt like something was missing.
This summer I had the privilege of attending Matt Glover's conference.  If you haven't heard of him CHECK HIM OUT!  I walked away glowing with ideas.  The biggest AH HA!  I took away from Matt's teaching is the format in which we are expecting writing needs to be authentic.  What is more authentic then books?!  In enter blank books...

My students complete 90% of their writing in book form now.  The by-in is insane!  Not only do my students beg for writing time, but they want to share their hard work.



Each kiddo even has their own sketch book, like Oliver Jeffers, to jot down ideas as then come to them.
I am so proud of their hard work, as well as grateful for the gurus out there willing to share their successes.

What are you most proud of in your classroom?

2 comments:

  1. Marcy, I just attended a Matt Glover mini-training recently! I just wanted to pick his brain! For older kiddos, I love Lucy Calkins, too! We use both in our district.

    cowansprekcaterpillars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, isn't he incredible?! We also use Lucy Calkins, but there are some foundational pieces missing from her work, when it comes to working with our ESL students. I also like Step Up to Writing for the foundational support.

      Marcy

      Delete